How do you make sure you are ready for your next training session? The great people at Aweigh Fitness have given us 5 amazing tips for fast, effective recovery post workout.
1. Ensure ample recovery time in-between workouts: Make sure you have 24-72 hours rest between intense training sessions involving the same muscle.
2. Get some sleep: Try to develop a regular sleeping routine where you go to bed at a similar time each night. Hormonal secretion during sleep is one of the most important factors influencing recovery; after all, the purpose of sleep is to induce a state of recovery in the body
3. Hydrate: Dehydration can reduce performance potential, but also delay the recovery process.
4. Get your Nutrients: Eat a post workout snack/shake that contains roughly 50g/25g carbs and 30g/15g protein. A well-balanced meal should be consumed roughly 2 hours post workout to continue the recovery process.
5. Massage it out, or foam roll: Gently roll on a baseball or massage roller all over all major muscle groups until you find a sensitive spot. Apply direct pressure until the pain dissipates.
If you fancy trying a new routine, they have also shared with us a ‘do anywhere’ plyometric workout, which sounds amazing! Make sure you stretch before starting and perform each circuit 2 times:
Circuit 1. 20 squats – 30 second jumping jacks – 15 (per leg) jump lunges – 20 plank tucks
Circuit 2. 30 seconds mountain climbers – 25 seconds frog jumps – 20 (per leg) ice skaters -15 tricep push ups
Circuit 3. 20 seconds front kicks – 15 per side knee to elbow plank – 30 seconds high knees -15 burpees